Followers

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Today is a cross training.......

day in my marathon training program. So I decided to go for a hike in Hart Park. My wife and daughter were off on a girls day so it was just me. So I grabbed my hydration day pack, put a sandwich and something to drink in it and headed out. It was a sunny morning but not too warm as yet. I got to my favorite parking place by the sheriffs shooting range. There were quite a few cars there already, typical of a Saturday morning at Hart Park. I could tell that there were mountain bikers as well as hikers and runners. I come here all the time and have favorite routes that I run but today I decided to just take off walking and find some different trails. I headed up the hill that is the start of the Mr Toads Wild Run. This hill climbs for about 1 mile before it levels out and forks off to the left. I stayed straight ahead since I had never been that way before. The trail went through a series of ups and downs, typical of Hart Park in general. At one point I saw a coyote cross the trail ahead of me and trot off into the grass. I stopped to watch him, he stopped for a moment to see what I was going to do then continued off on his way. I wound around hillocks, down into gullies and back up, trying to work my way towards the highest peak, one I had ascended many times before. At about 4 miles I stopped and ate my lunch while enjoying the views. After leaving my lunch stop I was able to have a conversation with a mountain biker, Doc, who told me he was mapping all the trails in Hart Park and that they would be available for download soon. That was exciting news since it is very difficult to find your way around these acres and acres of hills and trails. I only hiked about 2.5 miles getting back to my car.

No comments:

Post a Comment