Followers

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Kim and I working it in Morro Bay

Today was an awesome day for this old body.  I wanted to spend some time with my good friend Kim and what better way than to do some workouts together. 

So to start the day we did a 60-minute Spin class at the gym.  It was a good class but we only did about 15 miles.  It was a good hard ride but I am used to getting in 18 - 20 miles in a 60 minute class. It is probably because we didn't do a lot of high cadence endurance runs but a lot of climbing.  I definitely came away feeling like I had really gotten a good workout.  At my age that is about all you can ask for. 

Our plan was to run a 5-mile loop on the beach after we finished our Spin class, but we got down there and found that the fog was heavy on the beach and the tide was a little too high.  So we decided to head over to the Quarry Complex for a hike.  This is one of my favorite areas to hike and run and the weather was actually perfect for a good hike.  The first .3 miles was steeply uphill so I quickly began to breath hard. Breathing hard is fun, it is what makes me feel the trail and know that I am doing something good for my body.  We hiked, we talked and occasionally stopped to smell the flowers.  We did 3.5 miles in 1 hr 20 mins, a perfect pace to pamper our bodies after a hard Spin class and to nourish our friendship.  The flowers were really spectacular, especially the lupines.  I am not sure what the red and yellow flower was but it was truly beautiful


After a break for lunch, a really great bleu cheese and grilled onion hamburger at Wee Shack, it was time for an evening workout.  So back to the gym for a 30 minute Spin class.  Yea, that's right, two Spin classes in one day, yea buddy.  This Spin class was actually more intense than the 60 minute class earlier in the day.  High cadence drills abounded as we made several climbs in and out of the saddle.  We had planned on doing the 20-min abs class after Spin but I decided to send her off to do that while I spent my 20 minutes beating the crap out of the heavy bag.  I think I worked up a bigger sweat here than in either Spin class or our more relaxed hike in the hills.  All in all a great day of treating my body well and working on my connection with my good friend, my sister Kim.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. What a great day of friendship and fitness! Gorgeous flowers too!!!!!

    ReplyDelete