Followers

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Getting your God self in gear

I have said previously that fitness is not only about physical activities and nutrition but also about spiritual health.  The Bible says "19 Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; 20 you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies." (1 Cor 6:19-20) God says we are to take care of our bodies (exercise and nutrition) because our bodies are a place where He resides. So it is important that we keep our spiritual health in tune with our physical health to be the well-rounded 'temple' that God intended.

For many years I was really good about this.  I prayed, went to church, ministered the gospel and all the things you do to maintain spiritual health.  Then there was another long period of time where I wasn't practicing this level of attention at all.  I only went to church sporadically, prayed even less and did nothing to advance the kingdom of God.  I got caught up in the thinking that I could still be a good follower of Jesus Christ without going to church on Sundays.  I used Sunday's to run races, be lazy, sleep in..... I was doing a good job of making myself strong and healthy but my spiritual health was sadly lagging.

Recently I decided that it was time to change that.  Coincidentally (or not) it was right after my oldest son was killed in a shooting accident.  I was of course devastated and I hate to admit but one of my first reactions was "God, why did You do this?"  If I had been spiritually healthy that thought would not have crossed my mind.  I realized soon after the funeral was over and I was back home to my routine that I needed to get back into a church family.  So we visited a church where my wife went a few times but I never had - Bakersfield First Church of the Nazarene.  It wasn't far into the service before I realized that this was where I needed to be, especially since Pastor Shawna Gaines preached that morning on 'blessed are those who mourn for they shall be comforted'. (Matt 5:4)

Now I am on my way to spiritual health again.  I still have some struggles, some commitment issues, but God is once more in my life in the primary place of importance that He belongs.  I look forward to how He will use me in this wonderful church family.

No comments:

Post a Comment