Followers

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Mixing it up

It is so important to balance your physical activity.  It is pretty apparent to most of us that we have to mix it up.  If you are primarily a runner, don't forget to hit the gym for some strength work to keep those muscles functioning properly.  If you are a weightlifter, do your cardio and yoga to keep from getting 'muscle bound'.  If all you ever do is use the elliptical you are training your body to be great at the elliptical, but if you suddenly decide to become a swimmer you will be sore for a while until you re-train your body.  So it is important to mix it up.  Especially if, like me, you are a little older and your body on its best day wants to rebel against exercise. 

I look at it like this. I need to do cardio work, strength work and mind/flexibility work. The way many people approach this is to do cardio on one day, strength on a different day and maybe combine some flexibility and cardio work on another day and so on.  I take a little different approach.  I like to include all three in one workout.  Not everyday, but here is an example.   On Monday's I typically do a Spin class, usually about 20 miles in 60 minutes.  Then I go into a yoga class that is about 30 minutes in to the practice and join in for the final 30 minutes.  After the yoga class I do a 35 minute TKO kick boxing video.  This workout is a great combination of cardio, followed by some great stretching, balance and flexibility work.  The kick boxing at the end gives some more cardio plus the added benefit of working on my dexterity and balance.  And it even helps develop musculature in my back, shoulders and arms while I work through the various punching combinations.
 
Another combination that I do on Thursdays is this.  I start with a high intensity cardio session where I do jumping jacks, high knee's, various boxing moves and finish with more jumping jacks and high knee's.  Sometimes I will throw in some burpee's and/or some push-ups to mix it up.  I do all the moves one after the other with no rest and it takes about 10 to 15 minutes to complete.  Then I do a 60 minute yoga practice (power vinyasa).  I finish with about 30 minutes of weightlifting, mostly upper body.
These workouts leave me feeling energized for the day and burning calories long after the workout is over.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment