Followers

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Stupid Candy!



I have a craving for candy.  There, I said it.  It has only become an problem with me over the last few years.  I rarely ate candy before that.  I developed a bad habit of having a container of spice drops on my desk where they would be staring at me while I worked, begging to be eaten.  Did I relent, you bet I did, over and over again.  Do you know that there are 130 calories and 23 grams of sugar in just 12 of those little boogers!  And I would sit there and eat them by the handful.  Now, the calories required just to keep my body functioning and maintain it's current weight is 1400 (BMR)  That is about 116 spice drops.  Did I really think that my body would want to survive on 1400 calories of almost pure sugar.  I never really thought of it in those terms.  Problem is, I ate the spice drops as a comfort food while working at my desk, or driving my car.  On top of that I would eat my normal food so I was probably eating at least 3-4000 calories a day, many of them empty sugar calories.  Yuck.  Another of my favorites is the allsorts licorice mix.  Let's see what that was doing to me.  Worse! 150 calories and 25 grams of sugar in only 7 pieces.  OMG. I would sit and easily eat 25 or 30 pieces of this sugar bomb in no time at all.  This had to stop.
So last week, I did a seven day pledge of no candy.  No candy at all, regardless of what kind.  I would have been perfect but in the morning of the first day I spotted a miniature Twix bar left over from Valentines day and I opened it and ate it before remembering that I was on a no candy pledge.  There I said it, I failed right off the bat.  But I did complete the week with no other candy, so that is a victory.

This week I decided to continue the no candy commitment and add a new one - no soda.  I really like Diet Pepsi and Coke Zero and would drink them often.  Only once or twice a day at most, I know many who drink much more than that.  I know they are not a sugar issue, but they can contribute to kidney problems, a messed up metabolism and more. Effects of Diet Sodas Of course the sugary sodas are a given, with a 20 oz bottle of Pepsi giving you 250 calories and 70 grams of sugar. Nuff said. So this week, no candy and no soda.  Can you see where I am going with this?  It's called baby steps. Instead of just determining to start eating healthy, I am going to tackle it one step at a time.  We will see where it leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment