Followers

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Fast 5K?

I rested well yesterday, went to church this morning, took in a movie, did some easy shopping and, well, rested. So by this evening I decided I needed to go for a run. I knew better than to try a long one at this point, so I decided to do 5K and try for speed. It's been a long time since I have done a 5K race so it needed to be seen. Fortunately the temperature was down from the high 100's to a reasonable 89 when I took off at about 6:30. Things didn't start out so well as I wasn't 5 minutes out and my GPS died. Fortunately I had looked at my watch just before I left so I knew that I had left at 6:28 straight up, so at least I would know my time. I was running a course that I had run many times before so I knew the distance was accurate. The good thing was that I was feeling really strong. I ran a strong pace for the first 10 minutes or so, then slowed down a bit to save for a strong finish. I had to stop for traffic lights twice, once for 37 seconds and once for 20 seconds. As I turned on to Edgemont, about .5 mile to go I was able to pick up my pace and finished in 28:28, a 9:10 pace. I would like to be able to get that under 9:00. Maybe with the adrenaline of an actual race I would have been under 9:00 Bottom line, I feel good about the run and can't wait till the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment